Looking for an experienced digital marketing professional? Look no further! Below you will find my full resume and career history.
Creative online marketing professional with 18 years of communications experience and ten years of experience creating and launching integrated marketing campaigns involving: SEO, PPC, social media, mobile, display/direct mail, public relations, and web development. Past campaigns have driven over 1.2 million visitors a month.
- SEO, PPC, Social Media, and Web Analytics
- Mobile marketing strategy
- Strategic product launch planning & execution
- Strategic email marketing
- Marketing and brand management
- Online marketing training
- Media planning and execution
- New product development
- Web development and usability
- Sales and closing skills
- Strategic partnership development
- Cross-departmental project management
Owner, Watier Ong Strategies
At Watier Ong Strategies, we focus on finding and solving the source of your marketing problem. We think that all strong marketing plans are rooted in the profound understanding from your data and customer research.
Our approach includes diagnosing your marketing processes, systems, and resources, and assisting you in refocusing your strategy on the truths that will allow your brand and products to connect and engage with your target audience.
We have ten years of experience creating compelling, successful online marketing campaigns focused on organic tactics which have driven website traffic and conversions for clients.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can focus your strategies to break through the online noise and connect with your audience.
VP, Online Strategy and Market Insights – Ketchum PR, Washington, DC
- Led Ketchum wide initiatives to use online and mobile analytics to demonstrate ROI for client promotions.
- Created and executed online marketing and online analytics trainings for internal staff and clients.
- Led execution of online marketing and mobile strategies for clients including: NY State Health Benefit Exchange (NY State of Health), Cleveland Clinic, HHS Office of the National Coordinator, Express Scripts, Gazprom, Hershey and Clorox.
- Managed a team of 8 online marketing staff.
- Managed regular internal newsletters that provides US and international SEO and social insights for Ketchum staff.
VP, Social Media – Ketchum PR, Washington, DC
- Created and executed the digital strategy for HHS’s Office of the National Coordinator’s ‘Putting the I in Health IT’ campaign and HealthIT.gov which won the 2013 winner of PR Week’s Best Public Sector Campaign of the Year award.
- Led in house training for staff on all online marketing tactics: SEO, paid online advertising, mobile strategies, web measurement best practices, international search and social media.
- Developed and executed fully integrated online marketing campaigns for Center for Medicaid and Medicare, the Russia Federation’s ModernRussia.com.
- Provided online marketing training and online marketing strategic counsel to the following clients: HHS ONC, FedEx, National Honey Board, Clorox, Conagra, CA Milk Advisory Board, University of San Francisco, Families Fighting Flu, Kraft Mio, and Caris Life Sciences.
Director of Online Marketing – Environmental Working Group, Washington, DC
1/09 – 4/10
- Managed team of 4 employees, 8 unpaid interns, and outside web and print designers in a print, email, web marketing and web development department.
- With 4 months of effort increased traffic to www.ewg.org by 85% in 2009.
- Created an online marketing plan that drove over 1 million visits to ewg.org in September ’09.
- Audited/fixed Google Analytics implementation, set KPIs, established monthly reporting process.
- Established team and web development processes, selected and implemented Central Desktop, developed internal online marketing training programs.
- Reassessed server infrastructure, moved hosting & set plan to re-architect servers and conduct load testing for greater stability.
- Developed plans to eliminate press clip scrapping, to eliminate duplicate content, and to redesign the site to scale with traffic.
- Hired staff, created work plans, monitored yearly email fundraising calendar, managed execution all online products.
- Personally managed all SEO, PPC and execution and set social media strategies.
Online Marketing Consultant
- Provided SEO & social media audits, training and strategy sessions for SCORE, Ketchum PR, Leadership Alexandria, Volunteer Alexandria, International Food and Information Council, GHI International, TechLiterate, Westat, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and others.
Director of Online Strategies -OMP Direct, Washington, DC
4/08 – 11/08
- Worked with OMP’s president to develop online services offering and integrated marketing analytics for their clients.
Director of Internet Marketing – Points of Light Foundation & Hands On Network, Washington, DC
- Led the valuation of the merged organization’s 35+ web properties through analyzing domain traffic, PageRank and number of inbound links
- Ran online marketing and web analytics webinars for Points of Light Foundation (POLF) members.
Director of Marketing & Sales, 1-800-Volunteer.org – Points of Light Foundation, Washington, DC
- Created SEO and SEM strategy for 1-800-Volunteer.org and HelpinDisaster.org including: link building, Web 2.0 strategy, establishment of web analytics tracking (Omniture), customer online marketing and web analytic training, and developed online partnerships.
- Created communications strategy, $350,000 budget and plan for 1-800-Volunteer.org and HelpinDisaster.org including: brand development, search engine optimization and marketing, viral marketing, user marketing training and tools, national and local press strategy and marketing collateral.
- Developed and executed the 1-800-Volunteer.org sales strategy & process resulting in market dominance in 3 years.
- Assisted in product feature selection and testing, and market positioning of 1-800-Volunteer.org.
- Established local and national press strategy for 1-800-Volunteer.org and HelpinDisaster.org.
Marketing Communications Manager – Utilities Telecom Council, Washington DC
- Developed print and online marketing strategies and materials for UTC’s corporate verticals: research, spectrum services and membership sales.
Field Manager – National Youth Service Day – Youth Service America, Washington DC
- Managed and provided media relations support for 50 lead agencies resulting in over 320 million media hits; coverage from Los Angeles Times to Washington Post to Miami Herald and all major network TV affiliates.
Business Development /Tech Consultant – Barquin International, Washington, DC
- Led redesign strategy, development, usability testing, and SEO/SEM strategy and web analytics for www.barquin.com and www.idf-co.com.
- Wrote a website usability analysis for USDA’s Research, Education and Information System (REEIS), and redesigned the online data warehousing system’s navigation and design using Oracle Portals.
- Conducted market analysis for El Salvadorian government’s entrance into the IT human capital market, and assisted with a business case for KPMG for the State Department’s Foreign Affairs System Integration pilot program as a subcontractor of the KPMG Team.
- Developed training materials on Appraisal Data System (ADS) for General Services Administration.
- Developed requirements and designed database back-end for corporate intranet using Cold Fusion and MS Access.
- Developed course catalog and designed curricula for data warehousing and knowledge management training programs.
Development Specialist/Alumni Search Manager – National 4-H Council, Chevy Chase, MD
- Initiated a national endowment for 4-H’s Centennial Celebration by conducting a national alumni search campaign utilizing online marketing, registration and community-building techniques.
- Established a direct marketing and fund-raising strategy, managed budget and strategic planning process for National 4-H Council’s alumni and donor team to achieve fundraising goals of $320,000 in unrestricted operating funds.
- Integrated print and web marketing materials including: http://www.4Hproud.org, www.4Hfundsearch.org, and www.fourhcouncil.edu/foundations
- Hired and trained team members as well as managed special events to build internal and external support for the search campaign.
- Managed designers, writers, print shops and other outside consultants/vendors to develop print materials.
Public Relations Coordinator – USDA Rural Development, Tri-State Office, Amherst, MA
- Compiled tri-state press database and press strategy for print, television and radio in CT, MA and RI to promote federally funded development projects.
- Managed Congressional and USDA Rural Development State Director attendance at dedication events.
- Created press kits and coordinated press coverage at dedication events for area office for federal agency.
Assistant Manager – Irving Oil Corp, Bow & Concord, NH
- Increased inventory turnover efficiency and employee retention.
- Trained employees on new cash and product management system increasing revenue to $.5 million over a 6-month period.
President & Founder – The Rainforest Challenge, Union, ME
- Established a nationally recognized non-profit rainforest educational preservation program to involve communities in concrete social action by purchasing rainforest acreage and promoting The Rainforest Challenge educational curriculum.
- Secured initial grant funding and managed statewide press coverage to promote the program.
- Developed online presences (www.rainforestchallenge.org) in order to reach a national audience of schools and activists groups.
- Managed and trained activists to present and promote the program at state and national speaking and press events.
- Secured coverage on NBC and NPR Maine affiliates and local papers for rainforest preservation program.
Event Planning Experience
- National 4-H Foundation Trustees Conference (’00, ’01) National 4-H Center, Washington, DC;
- National 4-H Congress (’96) Chicago Hilton and Towers, Chicago, IL; Conference (’94) National 4-H Conference Center, DC.
- Regional and State Maine 4-H Teen Conferences (’89, ’90, ’91, ’92, ’93, ‘94) Tradewinds Motor Inn, Rockland, ME; University of Maine campus, Orono, ME.
Languages: HTML, CSS. Software: Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, Salesforce, Wordtracker, Keyword Discovery, Radian 6, Google Analytics, Omniture, Central Desktop, and various other office applications.
Training and Public Speaking
Created and presented customized online marketing training classes for: Online Marketing Institute, Westat, GHI International, International Food Information Council, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Joy of Motion Dance Centers, Volunteer Alexandria and Leadership Alexandria.
Keynote or workshop speaker at: Online Marketing Summit San Diego (2013), SES Chicago (2012), EXL Pharma Conference (2012), DC Digital Capital Week (2011), HHS ONC’s Annual Conference (2010 & 2011), PRSA Nonprofit day (2010), American Marketing Association (2009), FL Governor’s Hurricane Conference (2006), Northwest Network Conference (2008), National Conference on Volunteering and Service (2005 & 2006), Delaware Volunteerism Conference (2008), Democracy in Action Conference (2008), and NTEN Conference (2008).
Education & Training
Online Marketing Training & Certifications: Adwords Advanced Account and Conversion Optimization (2010), Inbound Marketing Certification (2009), Market Motive Web Analytics Certification class (2009), Bruce Clay SEO Toolset Training (2008).
Online Marketing Summit speaker (2013), SES Chicago speaker (2012), SMX Advanced and International Search Summit (2013, 2012, 2011, 2010), SMX East (2010), Search Engine Strategies NYC (2009), Epik One Google Analytics Advanced Technical Implementation Training (2009), Graphing Social Patterns East (2008), New Organizing Institute, Personal Democracy Forum (2008); Search Engine Strategies Chicago (2006)
M.A. Georgetown University 9/00-5/03
Thesis: (2003) Marketing Wearable Computers: An Assessment of Early Consumer Adopters’ Feelings
and Attitudes toward Wearable Computers. Georgetown University, Washington, DC
B.A. Hampshire College 9/94-5/99
Thesis: (1999) An Evaluation of 4-H’s Teen Programming. Hampshire College: Amherst, MA
Member of Moz, D.C. Web Women, SEMPO. Former member of Web Analytics Association, PRSA and AFP. PopTech volunteer from 1999-2009. Honored with the establishment of the Katherine Watier Green Award. Founder of The Rainforest Challenge.